These are general pre-operative instructions. Please discuss with your provider about your specific condition.
All preparation is to be done the day before surgery.
Have clear liquids for lunch and dinner.
Clear liquid diet includes clear broth, plain Jell-O (no red Jell-O), coffee, tea, juices (apple, orange, grape, cranberry, grapefruit, etc with no pulp), sugar or artificial sweeteners, soda pop of any kind, Gatorade, Kool-aid, 7-up, soups which are strained so that only broth remains, Italian ices or Popsicles (no sherbet), hard candy.
Do not drink milk or cream or eat any solid food while on this diet. Regularly used medications such as digitalis, blood pressure medications, etc. may be continued.
Purchase a fleet enema and a betadine douche (if not allergic to betadine) from over the counter at your pharmacy.
1. Take the fleet enema the evening before surgery.
2. If you have been advised to do Bowel prep with Magnesium citrate or Golyte, then you will not need Fleet enema.
3. Douche with the betadine douche the night before surgery. In case you are allergic to betadine, you may use plain tap water for douching.
4. Nothing to eat or drink after midnight before surgery (except the medications which are taken daily in the morning, may use only minimum amount of water for swallowing the medicine).
5. Arrive at the hospital / outpatient surgery center at least two (2) hours or more before the scheduled time for surgery to allow sufficient time for admission paperwork and pre-operative preparations by the floor nurses.
6. You must have a ride pre-arranged to take you home when you are discharged from outpatient day surgery unit if you are undergoing an outpatient procedure. You will not be able to drive yourself home after the procedure.